Tuesday, October 22, 2013

RIP David Segal

Sad to say, I just learned last night from his son Bradley, that our friend David Segal passed away Sunday night, at peace in Denver. I had been meeting him for occasional lunches since way back, when we both lived in San Diego. I regret that I let life get in the way, and I haven't seen him since last year. I met him through my dad, who dated his sister for awhile. I liked that he usually said what he was thinking, the stereotypical gruff old bear with a heart of gold. He repeatedly told Dad, "after you break up with my sister, don't be a stranger." I remember he took us for the occasional but very enjoyable boat ride, and one time invited my brother in law Bob to steer his yacht around San Diego Bay. He seemed excited to see how the details of an actual IFR approach played out, when we flew him to Palm Springs for brunch one time, and I had to shoot the ILS approach back into Montgomery field. More recently, I would occasionally pick him up at his apartment, and drive him to lunch, always at Racines. Rest in Peace, David.

No comments:

Post a Comment